Custom Search

Sunday, January 13, 2008

my trail to the TCS.....!!!!

k....m writin dis blog almost a yr after i got selected in tcs(i should also mention i was among d other 314 odd ppl who all got selected...)..dis bracked thing was to avoid any eye brows raised appreciating my talent pool or applauding my intellect..only those who appear for dis recruitment drive(hell...y do dey cal it a recruitment process....315 in SASTRA n & 789 in VIT...) know its more or less a drive intended to tap d potentials of students in a well crafted ploy to outsource it....imagine working for 12 hrs a day brooding on to ur comp screens,feeding data in files n taking a salery of 20k a month.....sounds like a fairy tale....!!!..
well...have another 6 months to join d revered..(is it really...???)..so dere's no point in discussing d job profile n d opportunies i may land up with....u hear a lot from others but finally its u who feels on ur own n decides....:)...so here i m...d memories r still very clear...'ll be lying if i say i still remeber d dates....:)...i just checked it out...ya monday,19th of march,2007..d D day...it was announced around a month back about d 1st company which 'll take it go at d pre-final yr studs...TCS also conducted some orientation programmes awaring students of its pre-requisites n other quitessential things...K...before i get in my story lets listen to some prologue...barely a week before d tcs stuff my GATE'07 results got out...m sure dose eye brows raised for my appreciation of my talents will go down...i fared miserably( i guess m exaggaerating dis b'cuz i rarely studied for it...)..i din get a score...added to it a fren remarked me" der's nothing to be proud about it"...added to it v had our 2nd mid sems days before d D day...i bunked it fully just to meet my preparations...
So, d day came in...monday,19th of march...having mugged up d important gre words n practised d analytical reasoning a no. times i was quite confident of making it in my apti...but my main fear was interviews as usual....i really fail to express it out wid expressions( i still wondered how i did dat day....or i really did...)...d night of 18th was a bit too long wid d only thing revolving in my mind was d gre words....i barely slept for an hr ni could see it out d next morning in mirror.....i seemed a complete messed up...i shaved again( imagine shaving daily for 3 days....u could end up shaving ur skin only...:) )...got in my newly bought uniform for d spl day( really its a uniform , a code u gotto strictly adhere wid...).. i light blue ful sleeved t-shirt,black trousers...no tie plz now....n i was ready for d ppt(pre placement talks)..ya it was not d interview i was going for now.....i joined in my friends( aspiring employees of TCS )....v carried a note pad in just to make sure dat any spl info dey share does'nt go unnoticed....moreover wen u r drooling for a job u can't go to ur employee empty handed....i or v entered d audi an hour earlier just to make sure v get d seats n things start on a decent note ( i forgot to mention d eligible list of students were a whopping 1300+...)..n d seating capacity of d audi is just a mere 500...though other 2 audi's too were supposed to get d feed but d live performance attracts d most....:)..d gonna be ppt was supposed to start at 9 am sharp...but its INDIA guys n ppl find it essential to prove their importance n supiriority by gettin it late....d thing started at around 10 o'clock....Frens dis was d just d start....v were shown a couple of videos showing some musicians playin it out at everythin...'is dis wat u really do at TCS..???'..one of my frens asked me this inviting a welcome giggle on all faces...after dat traumatic ppt v made out ways to d notice boards to see out time slots for d apti...i was given a slot of 6:30 pm..90 mins exam means 'll be out wid d result n a hr form by 8 pm..( i was always optimistic about my results... ;) )...i spent d gap between d ppt n apti test by taking a survey of how many ppl did really make it in aptis....our initail survey was dissapointin knowin dat many prodigies also din make it in....however d guy who really got me in was my fren from cse living in my neighbour....he got in earlier n infused a positive spirit in me...
Howver d tense moments never leaves u...i got in d lab 4 along wid Gaurav Anand(a close fren of mine )....v sat in adjacent chairs just to make sure dat d 'help me my fren, m clueless' could b possible......v were given in a url ,a login id n password...i logged in a couple of mins after Gaurav did...god...!!! all dese words r new,he prompted...shocked at dis remark i gaped at my onscreen paper...k..its a synonym n d 1st word looked quite similar...d verbal reasoning was quite ok...but d quants were too too simple....u check out d old questions of tcs n u'll know d standards....now d most haunted analyticals were in front of me...but wats dis...its d same wat my neighbour told me few hrs back....i guess i was lucky... :)...10 anxious mins later d words Congrats...!!! flashed on both d adjacent screens.....time to re-joice....shakin hands wid ppl i moved out wid Gaurav n took a cig...really i needed it....d entire body was chilled off...more wid d anxiety created in d lab.....finally we made our ways in our hostel.....ya with d TCS hr form which we got..... :))

HAving cleared d aptis was not doing any good....another night was a passe widout sleep just thinking wat'll i speak out...but i had a strategy(it was a common strategy for all my frens...just say some crap but be confident like hell.....!!!)...my hr inteview was supposed to be at 11 am in morning....but as said earlier ppl again tried proving deir importance....my interview was delayed by goddamned 7 hrs....i dressed up most carefully as i could....looked ok...well anyone fitted wid a Rs 1200 worth parx shirt n an ultra expensive lee cooper shoes(they were never mine...) will look like a gentleman...another 30 mins were spent in a kind of waiting room from where v had to move out to butcher houses...oops m sorry...i meant interview rooms....i sat along with Gaurav(again) n Vikas outside d technical panelists....10 mins later i was called in....n d most awkward situation came in...dere wasn't a room...its was various cabins.....should i ask if could come in d room...??? it wasn't a room...shoold i shake my hands wid d panelists...dey looked way older dan me n included a female member too....i din do anything anyways.....i was bombarded wid a volley of questions....i appeared quite confident den..however it soon shattered off wen i failed to mumble out d newton's 1 law....i really forgot it dat time but recollected as soon as i came out...i did it again wen i failed to wap for a factorial....i really seemed to be out of my mind....comin out of d hr room or cabin ,i was brooding over my mistakes n promising not to repeat it again in the next hr interview( i had no idea dat dey did eliminate students in technicals....)i sat on d moulded chair lookin all smiling faces...my face said it all, how screwed up i was....

A few mins later as i expected i was asked to report upstairs for hr interview..i really wanted to do it fast...i was done wid all dese software stuff....all info i stored in my mind about Tcs startin hauntin me wid thoughts of i not clearin d tcs test....soon after my name was called in....8 hrs since i adorned d shoes my toes were irritating....i was all worn out....but thank god my panelists were too good...made me get at ease n few secs later i was bubbling again with my innate confidence.....i really did it well...answere them positively n i did well...!!!
dat night was even more painful wonderin if 'll be in or out....i think i did well in hr...but wat about technicals...i screwed up....frens kept motivating me about d results n kept pestering me for d next days celebrations...but deep down somewhere i kept feeling d chill.....!! next day i had my ususal classes...i did it...gave attendance fa a few...rumors started pouring in about d results as it could be out any moment....as once again d TCS ppl proved their point....we gathered in d hall right at 2 for d results...once again i sat wid Gaurav( dat deep down fear made me sit,just wanted to be 3rd time lucky...)...d proceedings started at around 4...however d final figures were way lower dan expected n we just nodded showin our disbelief n fearing a rejection finally....d long list of 315 students started getting it....ppl clapped,hugged each others n some jumped all around....finally d start of biotech names list gave me goose bumps...trust me it was d must horrifyin moment for me....somethin i could never forget off.....Gaurav Anand's name was followed by mine...since we shared same 1st name m still skeptical of date if i really made it in TCS...(just kidding guys....!!!!)...however it was traumatic 3 days for me which ended wid celebrations...it was partial though as we waited my other frens too to get placed....
a yr after wen i recollect dat moment i still feel d heat i got through with n appreciate my intellect too...!!!!well finally in a yr wen i failed at everythin literally i chipped in wid somethin...an achievement n a kick off to my career....!!!!!!!!

No comments: