Custom Search

Monday, March 15, 2010

The one night stand..!!

A quarter past an year and it finally happened.No, i haven't been longing for it but being in an IT industry for this period and in a cosmopolitan culture even i succumbed to the revered.It was more of a demand of the hour.I could not stop myself
from helping out of it.Perhaps 3 fags did the job and i broke the jinx.Finally, i had a one night(or night long) stand at my office in my 6X6 cubicle.
Despite of the fact that i studied in an engineering college, but having a night out was something out of my book."The night's for sleep",i still believe the phrase and strictly adhere to.However, the strange working culture makes me go a bit
flexible about it.Semester exams at college never appeared a reason good enough to sacrifice ur night sleep for it, no matter u r unprepared.Neither did the placement interviews did it.The college parties lasted not more than a couple of hours after midnight after which an individual was either too exhausted with the nuances done or too high on alcohol.Both of these meant, end of the consciousness and crashing onto the bed.The farthest i even went in college was 4 o' clock in night, the reason being finishing off a novel which i had to return back to its owner the very next day.What foll wed the next day was a mere disaster.I woke up the next morning with 104 degrees of fever and it almost screwed up my end sem exams.


The 1st time ever, when i tried being awake was not by choice but due to lack of options.I had a wait listed ticket in sleeper class of train.Being a bachelor, i was very sure of getting a birth to sleep, if i flashed a Rs 50 note to the TTE.Though a Rs 50 bribe for a ticket worth Rs 150 sounded expensive, but the night's sleep was something for which i could have parted off the amount.I still remember the days when a mere 20 bucks meant a seat assurance even in lnog distance journeys.Guess even the bribe rates were floating and changed with the growing inflation and pay hikes.However as soon as i boarded the train, i realized how different it was to travel in train in south compared to that of north india.Contrary to southern part where people only with valid sleeper tickets embarked the coaches,in upper north the TTE showed his due generosity by accommodating every inch of the coach to people asking for it, though he demands generosity at the part of people too.A jam packed train left me no other option than sitting on the floor, among the localites besides the coach exit.A sitting posture never allows me to doze leave sleeping.It was rejoicing moment for me the next morning, when i felt having conquered the night.

Exactly a month later, my sister's grand wedding left me awake across the night.A wedding in north india means lavish sets, girls and women flashing their most expensive of jewelleries, relatives and in-laws complaining about every other arrangement made, the men asking everyone if they had the dinner of not.And finally the bride's brother gets to become the scape goat.Right from drinking water for the groom's sister to catering needs of the other fellow baratis, he has to do all.And he also gets to be bullied by other in-laws and becomes the matter for others to crack joke about.Despite of all its more of fun when the entire family assembles for the gala event.The extravaganza left with no other choice than staying awake through it.


The night at the office was different experience all through.I misjudged my work for the day and took it casually.It was only after post lunch, my colleague helped me trace the difficulty level of the work,It meant a deep analysis, a formal approach and a fine execution.It all meant spending another 9-10 hours and office and i expected to leave not before 12 in night.Even that sounded good enough as i could still spend 8-9 hours at bed considering the fact that it was a friday night.However, as it happens, a series of events spanning in the next few hours left me with no other choice than spending the night in my cubicle.The last person to leave the ODC started out at 11.00 pm giving me "Dont u have a home" and "oh my God, working so late .." look simultaneously.Confused with which was the correct predicament of the look, i preferred concentrating on my screen instead.The security staff came some 30 minutes later and took my signatures to prove that i stayed back late in office.For me staying late in office was for loosers, who failed to do the work in the stipulated time.I seemed to be in that shoe at this very instance.Two fags and a couple of hours later, i seemed to be satisfied with the work and could have left.But the sheer excitement of spending the 1st night at office and seeing the dawn after a very long time made me work towards betterment in the work , a step up than satisfaction.I left office at 4 o' clock in the morning.It was still dark outside and my eagerness to see the dawn had almost exhausted out.More than the dawn, i wanted to see my bad and crash upon it.A journey from my workplace to my abode, was 1.5 km and 25 minutes of walking distance.Hyderabad is a safe place to live in, and i could feel that walking along the road in the wee hours.The traffic though less than normal was still there and the security personnel were pretty awake.It was my walk through the final stretch that sun broke across the barriers and emerged in its red avatar.It was amazing how the nature's fiercest forms came daily even in the hardest of time with the same potential ever.The cold breeze almost went across my soul and i felt fresh and divine, making the night despite of all hardships one of my pleasant nights spent ever.

1 comment:

UJ said...

"It was amazing how the nature's fiercest forms came daily even in the hardest of time with the same potential ever.The cold breeze almost went across my soul and i felt fresh and divine, making the night despite of all hardships one of my pleasant nights spent ever" - very nicely put. Nice post...