Custom Search

Wednesday, June 9, 2010

What's in the name..!!

Words have meaning and names have power. ~Author Unknown

The name or say the noun by which we address a person is key to number of answers.I always believed a person's name sketches a clear picture about him/her.Names have unique attributes which is passed on to its bearer.No wonder, every girl by the 'Neha' not only sound beautiful but are gorgeous.People with unpronounceable names are exemplary and are way out of leagues.People who inspire their names from nature are undoubtedly smart, academically brilliant and are eye candies.However, the ones possessing a common name, leads a common life bespectacled with success of others.Names changes virtues and the way one looks at a person.
Off late with boom in technology, a person's name can open a Pandora's box.A search in social networking sites can divulge minute details about an individual, his nature, attitude and even the marital status.
But well that's my way of thinking and a small observation i made in the last 10-12 yrs of my life.Riding the current belief, i always intend to know a person's name before befriending him/her(its mostly her in most of the occasions).
My work place with buzz with female species.Though my hectic schedule leaves a little space for sighting people but over time, my multi-tasking features have honed well and my eyes hover around for any female existence in the area which can be mapped by my eyes.My search for one ended up a couple of months back when i spotted 2 girls in cafeteria.They sat in corner much like extinct species.Both of them looked good and would have been a rare treat for any male eyes.I always appreciate beauty in a decent manner and feel the appreciation should be passed on the one who's being appreciated.Unable to decide which one to go for, i made up my mind to have a tete-a-tete with whoever's name in known 1st to me.
Few months later i.e. today, one of the girls startled me when i found her sitting across my table at lunch.Wow, still she looked a master piece and a pie to go for.In the past months i noticed how she often dressed herself in white outfits.She attired in a similar way today.I feel awkward and not at ease trying to strike conversation with a new person while either of us is eating.Added to it i still did not knew her name and had no intentions of ruining my 1st impression.There are few occasions when you feel everything going your way while most of the times it the other way round.To my amazement, she stood up kept her ID card and her lunch box on the table and asked me not to let anyone sit as she'll be back in a minute.Taken aback, i gave a open jaw reply, and nodded my head saying 'Oh sure' to her.Once gone, i moved close to her ID card to check out her name but her faded name on her ID made it illegible.She was back in a minute and gave a slight grin appreciating my effort to keep her place intact.My mind vacillated between striking a conversation with her or not.Again like loser i followed my brain and chose not to speak to her.I munched my food at double the pace to finish off it faster.I slowed down at the end upon realizing that i still needed to know her name.
The urge to know her name made me look all around except her.I gathered some effort, garnished with guts and spoke to her for the 1st time.What i could only muster was asking which account she worked in.Shocked my sudden question, she answered in a word.Unable to make an eye contact any further, i rushed, almost surrendered and stood up to leave.About to leave, i stopped upon hearing "By the way I am ...."Over joyed and excited, i reciprocated.Perhaps a wonderful end to a nervous start.Could have never known the importance of a name had not her.Somehow knowing her name seemed a feat well achieved and at the end of day i treated myself with a Cornetto ice-cream.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hmm.... Gauri your writing is really awesome. I was really excited in reading this article. The excitement grew to the peak while going through the post. I think you are putting feelings(which are never expressed or written) into the words. Good keep the good work. And i am fan/cooler/AC of your articles.

Saale lekin sirf naam likh dete to mazza aajata. :)