Custom Search

Friday, October 11, 2013

Love at first sight ? Really !


It was never a love at first sight; it could never have been so. I have known her from the 1st day I stepped in my school in lower kinder gardens. We literally grew together along with 20 other class mates of mine. Though her presence was imminent all through the primary and secondary school, I took cognizance of her only today. I thought of all this lying on bed and staring at the defunct fan which rotated with least possible momentum. The analgesic had done its job, and the beads of sweat made sure my fever had diminished. Though I felt better, I did not want to get up from the bed. It was liked a slow motion dream sequence and I wanted to feel all of it. I closed my eyes again, to recollect the timeline of events which transpired a few hours ago. As I sub-dued myself in the memories, a mild smile sprang on my face, and guess what, That said it all.
If you were born in mid-80s and brought up in middle class family in a sub urban town, you were bound to be bitten by the bug of pursuing either engineering or medical as you future career. I too joined the band wagon not knowing what actually I intended to do if I become one. Studies and career path were fed with daily course of meal at my home and mild deviation from the ideality (read scoring low in exams) often led to severe melodramatic sequences which not only bored me but also baffled to a certain extent.
Upon reaching my early teens, when a male specie in charged up with sudden secretion of testosterone, I instead found my solace in books and studies. I belonged to rather sexually balanced class, which boasted of a higher female population. I often felt that by stacking more girls in my class, my principle wanted to address the gender imbalance of the country. There was not a single day in school when I did not share my desk with a female. Contrary to other co-ed institutions, my school encouraged a healthy interaction among different genders of society right from primary classes and I think that’s what a co-ed institute is supposed to do. But all these never made me any closer to women, I liked them as friends but never thought beyond that. Even the life sciences classes in secondary school failed to drive my attention until the very fateful day.
It was business as usual at school with morning assembly and a flurry of classes thereafter. Contrary to other days, I was drowsy and my plan to study late the previous night started taking its toll on me. Things took an ugly turn as we entered into the 3rd class of the day. I could feel my body temperature rising up and a sudden bout of fever overtaking me. I am a male and that too a rigid, and egoist one, so asking for help at this juncture was not in my plans. The fever soared with every passing minute and I could feel my body shiver to maintain its heat. I ducked myself to hide my desperation from others and that is when she, the lady sharing my desk noticed. “Are you alright ?” she whispered trying hard not to garner the teacher’s attention. “hmm, yeah” I replied. I thought I answered in affirmative, but she held my hand the next second trying to feel my pulse. A chill ran down my spice as she touched me. Startled I looked at her. Though I was the one who was in a peril, I could sense tension writ large on her face. The curls on her forehead made it very clear that not all was fine with my pulse. I knew it the moment she touched me. “You aren’t alright. You have a high fever, why did you lie to ME”, she snapped back at me. Women ask you some real tough questions though they very well know the answers. Not sure of what to answer I kept looking at her. It was for the first time that I noticed her kohl lined eyes, stands of hair touching her face and glossy lips. Is this the fever or something’s abnormal?, I thought. My “lost-in-love” looks did puzzle her and further worried her. Without wasting a minute, she stood up and informed the teacher about my condition. The teacher on noticing the same asked her to company me to the Sick room. She held my hand as I stood up and kept hold of it till we reached the sick room.
I was immediately administered an analgesic and was made to lie down on a vacant bed. The drug made its effect and I started to fall asleep. I tried hard to keep my eyes open and see her for the one last time.


No comments: